Skip to main content

Knitting a scarf

Can you believe I lost this post TWICE after typing everything up?! Also it was automatically publishend a couple of times when I was only trying to save! :(
Anyway, here is my 3rd attempt... I'm so patient. :D I'm going to save every 2 rows as I go this time. *sigh*

*****

I'm knitting a scarf! :)


*Click for a bigger view*

I'm using Moda Dea Cache in color "Smartie". One of my friends and I got this great deal at our local Michaels last week, and each of us bought 4 skeins of the yarn. Today I went back and got 6 more skeins. :D I was surprised to find they still had the yarn left!

Anyway, the friend who went to Michaels with me - said she had not knitted for a long time, and she didn't have needles, but I knew a good solution for that! :) It was:

K every row (garter stitch) using 2 needles in different sizes !

I love this technique for bulky yarn with lots of character such as Cache.
I'm sure her hands will remember how to "K" quickly, and using this technique, we only need a pair of a size and a pair of another size for both of us, and I can just lend mine (I have only a pair for each size). I thought it was great that she didn't have to buy a pair of needles especially because she doesn't know if she will knit more after this scarf. :)

Because it's garter stitch, both sides of the scarf will look identical which is great, and by using 2 different-size needles, you can make it look more exciting than regular garter stitch. :) Also, because big needles are used, this scarf works up so quickly that I think I can finish it in 1 day if I wanted to, and OH how little the amount of yarn it requires! It's shocking to me because I have just crocheted and crocheted and have hardly knitted for a looooong time. :D
By the way, I'm using a US #15 (10mm) and a #35 (19mm). I especially LOVE my beautiful #35 needles and stoppers that fit them! If you are interested, you can find them at Stitch Diva Studios.

I'll be knitting scarves until I finish up all 10 skeins of the yarn. :)

Comments

Mimi said…
Wow, that's pretty Chie, the yarn looks expensive! I'd have to try that garter stitch using two different size needles next time I'm making a scarf :)
I hope my comment or next post doesnt get lost when I click publish...had that happen to me too and its frustrating.
Chie said…
Mimi -
Can you believe I got the yarn $2/skein, and it's usually around $6?! :))) I was very happy about that, and I think I went a little crazy over the great discount. :D
CrochetManiacs said…
That's pretty, I love that yarn, it sparkles...........what kind is it? LOL, on th post getting lost more than once when publishing....blogger is good at that sometimes.
knitphomaniac said…
that's some beautiful yarn :)
Chie said…
knitphomaniac -
Isn't it though? :) I just wish it wasn't itchy. :'(
Chie said…
crochetmaniacs -
I usually don't buy yarn like this one, but Michaels was selling it for $2 each, and I just couldn't resist. This yarn is Moda Dea Cache in color "Smartie.
Terry said…
I really like this blog - and the scarf looks as if it's going to be beautiful. Well, I imagine it's already finished and IS beautiful.

Thanks for a great blog!
Chie said…
Terry -
Thank you so much for your kind words, Terry! :)
I feel really bad that I can't post more often, but I'm really glad you stopped by, and I hope you will again. :)
I wish I could finish the scarf, but I frogged it all because the yarn was too itchy. :'( I thought the yarn might look great as a scarf though...

Popular Posts

A very simple skateboarder beanie

My hubby who skateboards had been asking me to make him a simple beanie.
He wanted "small stitches with thin yarn" for his beanie so I was thinking about knitting it with stockinette stitch and sportweight yarn... But I just didn't feel like knitting or using sportweight yarn so I just started crocheting it with single crochet stitches and rather thin worsted weight Caron's Simply Soft hoping that he would like it.

Result?

He didn't like it, he said he loved it and it was exactly like how he wanted it to be! :) He went to show the beanie to some of his skateboard buddies as soon as it was done, and that made me happy. :)



Check out other crocheters beanies made with this pattern on Ravelry!  
Anyways, I was relieved and thought maybe some of you may like to make one too. ;D
I used only chains and single crochet stitches.
I believe many of my visitors don't even need the pattern because it's really just basic hat pattern, and there may be similar one out t…

WIP - Tunisian crochet

Between other fun projects, I've been enjoying crocheting this Tunisian crochet piece so much!


The pattern I'm using is "Felted Entrelac Handbag" from Gourmet Crochet. Carolyn is one of my favorite crochet designers. I'm a big fan!
This one requires only a regular crochet hook because the rows are short, and it's just great.
I'm going to felt this after all the crocheting is done, and I can't wait. :) I believe I've never posted any felted project here before, but I did some felting last year, and I loved it. I think it's just perfect for bags.

This bag is such a quick project, and I'm hoping to finish it soon. :)